Thursday, February 1, 2007

My Longest Entry Yet

Although I wasn't keen on going to work today I was thankful for the distraction it provided. Little did I know it was just going to prove to be a continuation of the hell I feel like I've been going through lately. Ah yes, the year 2007 is certainly coming in with a bang. Come to think of it 2006 left in the same fashions. What ever happened to the whole expression, "In like a lion out like a lamb" and visa versa? I guess life is a little less predictable then weather.

Apparently me blogging or chatting from work is not acceptable... which I guess is understandable. I simply didn't think it to be an issue considering I see others browsing on there all the time but in hine sight... well whatever. I can swallow my humble pie and accept that as it is. No big deal.

Another issue at hand is there's been some theft happening... some piece that I don't even know what the heck it's called or what it's used for. But I now do know that it is valued at four hundred dollars which is a good amount of cash. A lap top, and other pieces. Another thing I was informed of as of tonight is that 70% of theft is what is called "in house", which I'm sure you can guess is done at the hands of the employees themselves. That's a huge percentage... it's hard to think of the faces I see day to day and have grown to love and appreciate... and to think them capable of such a thing.... It's also extremely difficult to think of myself as a suspect... a prime suspect might I add. First and formost I should say that about half a year ago... well what to say... well let's just say I messed up one way or another and it effected my work ethic... but amends were made to the best of my ability.

So there is that in my not too distant history... and then get this. I now assume that in light of all of this my boss askes me to submit a detailed account of my hours for my last pay period. Up until now I have just kept track of them myself, writing them down on my calender as soon as I got home and after about a month or two I'd call in with the total amount and get a check the next pay period. So when the request was made I thought it to be odd but again, whatever. I said, "Sure, no prob" . A bit more work on my end of it but I certainly have nothing to hide. Except that later it dawns on me that it is now January... year 2007.... and my hours are neatly written in on the 2006 calendar.. which is probably somewhere in the midst of the recycling process even as I write this. And to think that as I was taking the recycling out and the calendar was staring me in the face I contemplated maybe saving it, for what reason I did not know. So neadless to say this is starting not to look so good...

All that combined with the fact that I am one of the few people who has keys to everything, is there after hours and has the place all to herself and wallah! There ya have it folks! Innocent until proven guilty.. or not. This really bites I tell yeah...

I imagine I am being slightly mellow dramatic but this is all very fresh still. I wasn't outright accused of anything... and the boss and I go a long way back.. but never less... not a pleasant feeling. For crying out loud I feel guilty for having a piece of pizza left over from a staff lunch from the day before never mind actually stealing something!

Oh yeah, almost forgot to tell you one other detail... you 'll love this. This is classic. On my way home as I am mulling over in my head all that has just transpired... I recall from a few weeks back a lap top, on the floor leaning against a desk. It's in my way as I am trying to vacuum.. come to think of it the whole area is rather cluttered so I decide to rearrange some stuff... (I'm sure you can see where this is going...) I take the stupid thing off the floor and slide it a few inches over in between the hard drive and something else. "Was it really a lap top... or am I just freaking out now?" I briefly ask myself. No I decide... I can vividly recall it.... so the question is "Now what do I do?" I can't just conveniently pull it out on my next shift and casually say, "Hey look folks, I found the missing lap top." because I'm sure that would go over well....

I figure I need hard proof that it was simply moved and it's all a misunderstanding. I thought well maybe if I take my camera and record me retrieving it... except that's rather dumb cuz I easily could have planted it there two seconds before hand. OK. Moving on to plan B.

Even though I am almost home and it's late I should turn back and straighten it all out now. I know that the boss is still there so there would be no question in mind of how it made it appearance again. OK.. not a bad idea... I turn the van around. But it's winter... and it's freezing cold.... I have my scarf, my gloves, a big sweater, and a big winter jacket which could easily turn into a cover if I wanted to smuggle something back into the shop. Even with the presence of others around. No problem I thought.... I'll just strip it all off at the front door... So I did just that... I'm sure I look utterly ridiculous... and if or when that very bit of the security tape is reviewed for some reason or another my sanity will no longer be in question. All is well... at least maybe my name can be cleared to some extent.

So as I said... I leave everything on the floor... and make my way past my boss whom I just said goodbye to ten minutes ago... into the stock room... down to where the MIA object is to be located ... and... well... it's not. Or at least it's not what I thought it to be. Not a lap top but some mixing board.... Darn it... should have considered that a possibility a little more seriously. So now I make my way back... past my boss again... who I'm sure is now not just a little confused as to why I came back in the first place but a lot and what business I had going back there anyways. I could have tried to explain there and then... but I just really didn't have it in me at the moment. I imagine we'll be having another chat in the relative near future.

You gotta love life...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My two cents in (keep the change should there be any left):

Ask for a meeting with the boss. Don't wait for him to ask you for one. First, while 70% of theft comes from inside, I'd say it's the act of 5% or less employees. Most people are pretty honest, especially if the boss is as fair as I got the impression from you in the past.

The boss hired everyone with the impression they are good people, and most of those hired ARE good people. He probably feels just as bad if not worse than you, for even wondering if maybe you are in any part related to the disappearances around the office.

I'd ask for a meeting and say: I know we have had a ____BLIP____ six months ago, but I hope we can put it at rest and not allow it to influence the current situation. having said that, what can I do to help you find the responsible party, and ensure you that I am in no way the culprit.

Here's the tough part, easy to advise, much harder to deliver: Offer to take time off work. Chances are the theft will continue, and if that can help clear your name, you'll make that sacrifice. The money, as much as it is needed and appreciated is NOT worth your friendship. Chances are he won't take you up on it, but knowing that you are willing to do that will let him move on to other suspects which will not be as easy to weed out.

last but not least, I'd say that most people stealing from work are doing so because the want/need the item. Very few would steal like this in order to try selling the item and then make a profit like that. That requires motivation, and petty thieves don't know the meaning of it. Who the hell could USE the $400 piece for themselves? That to me would be the #1 suspect, which would put you further down the list of suspects.

Anyway, like I said... keep the change on the advice, and I hope the issue will soon be in the past. Good luck, and don't let it get you down...

Selah said...

Thanks for your two cents, I promise not to to spend it all in one place. Already had a follow up conversation with the boss, which I guess went as well as one could have expected. It's funny business being in buisness with friends. I'm not sure if it's worth the risk...

As far as who done it? And why, what motivation? Well there is plenty of guys around here that are rather familiar with ebay and I imagine a hot little item like that would go in no time. Hey come to think of it I was just overhearing about how some guy had his violin stolen (not exactly from where, home or what?) and so he decided to go around to all the music stores to give them a heads up and to keep an eye out for it in case someone came in trying to sell it. It turns out the people were spotted accross the street from us at a different music store, but for some reason never made it into our place.

And I hear you thought me to be too inept to figgure out how to monitor the comments posted on my page. :)

Anonymous said...

Not at all... I just could have sworn my previous comments appeared without needing to be moderated. Didn't think you'd have dabbled in the settings, and was pretty sure as to past procedure... on top, I've had my comments eaten by blog software many a times. :)

Yes, people know ebay, but like I said, many small time crooks (from my experience) would not think like that. They steal for direct personal gain.

On top of that, there is some level of knowledge required as to knowing the real value of the item. Granted, the knowledge is probably quite common in a music store environment, but once again, it would take a certain kind of person to pick up on it... all clues I guess. Thing is it is easy to form a good basis for suspicion, but a whole different ball game to prove beyond doubt.