Sunday, January 14, 2007

Green Hot Chocolate

Whoever came up with the thought that basically were "all good at heart" should take a closer look.

I guess I am what you could call a realist. I don't beat around to bush and I usually just lay it out as it is. Pretty or not. So I've long come to terms with the evil right within my very own being. But I tell you, it's one thing to know it lives with in you, yourself, but it's a whole different story when you see that very same ugly thing wrestling within your children.

It rears it's head all too often... kinda like at this lunch hour.

My son who is 5 and in Kindergarten had a good but taxing morning at school, so he had a hard time keeping it together afterwards and as a result he was having to miss lunch for the day. To spice up the leftovers from the night before I decided to make some Hot Chocolate to go along with the lunch. Not just any old hot chocolate but ones straight from Disney World. With three different colors to choose from, my daughter, (who is also 5) picked green. Not the blue, no the red which we have yet to try, but the green. Now to you that likely means nothing, but I know different. I KNOW why she picked green. See it's my sons favorite color. And yes it's the very son who is confined to his room for the time being and is now consequently missing out not only on lunch but his favorite colored hot chocolate as well. I think to myself "Whatever! What he doesn't know can't hurt him" and proceed to make it.

Except he does know. 'How does he know?' you may be asking. Well this is where my darling three year old son comes into the picture. My little angel, even after having been specifically warned not to, in an unsuspecting moment sneaked off to his brothers room and kindly informed him, that indeed we were having GREEN hot chocolate. As if the kid hadn't hadn't been through enough already.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dunno, I wouldn't call the action of dispensing the green hot chocolate info 'evil'. I'd toss it in with the brutally honest statements of kids, like "you're fat", or "you're ugly".

Even if the information was intended to spite, I doubt that a fraction of the actual damage was foreseen, bringing the comment along the line of an individual teasing their co-workers with "Yup, by this time next week while you suckers are slaving away here at work, I'll be sipping a Pina Colada in Hawaii".

I think kids go through with a lot of 'evil actions', but their intentions are not evil, just a simple lack of understanding.

This is why we don't jail kids for murder. They simply do not have the means to understand the consequences of their actions, and the impact they will have on others...

Selah said...

Oh brother, I must disagree with you on that one. Although your right that the example of the green hot chocholate is not on to get all tied up in a knot about there is still more to it then just brutal honesty. It's all intentially spitefull, and if at that age they are smart enough to figgure out reverse psychology (which mine have for years) then they are smart enough to know the full impact of their actions. I've wittnessed my kids lack social graces but this is a category of it's own. The things people, may it be ourselves or our children (age 3 or 13) are capable of are astounding.

Anonymous said...

A four year old understanding the total impact of their actions? :) Even if you remove the absolute, I know I myself often find having done something with unforeseen, and painful reactions. Truth be told, I could probably think of a couple such cases in the last week alone.

Kids CAN be evil (conjuring a picture of a spoiled brat, one fully aware of the power s/he holds over the parents), but with those the attitude is so prevalent, anyone can smell it a mile away. With the added benefit of seeing things from an outside perspective, I'd say your kids fall in a category opposite of that I just described. :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.